Wednesday, October 13, 2010

E-book to raise funds for my groups!

As you may know by now, I'm trying to raise funds for my youth groups (click to find out more). You've all been voting for the Aviva Community Fund, and I thank you so much for it.

As part two of my fundraising plan, I've put together a 122 page e-book entitled Back to Basics: Anhydrous Products. The book includes over 50 recipes and explanations for making lotion bars, whipped butters, balms, oil based scrubs, bath melts, bath oils, oil based sprays, solid scrubs, and facial sera, as well as all the carrier oil, exotic oil, and butter profiles and everything I've gathered about the chemistry of our oils including fatty acids, mechanisms of rancidity, phytosterols, and polyphenols.

I'm asking for a $20 donation for the book through Paypal or Hyperwallet (you can reach me at sjbarclay@telus.net). If you've previously donated $20 or more, I've sent you an e-mail to see if you'd like a copy as a thank you for your past support (but if you want to donate again, we'd be so grateful!). If you click on the little button below, I'll send you a copy of the book by e-mail.

A quick note: It might take me a few hours to send you out the book 'cause I sometimes leave the house for work or my youth groups and I can't check my e-mail or send out attachments until I get to my home computer. I'll try to figure something out a little quicker for the next book. 


Click here to see the table of contents.



I am planning three other e-books - surfactants, lotion making, and hair care products - for the near future if this e-book does well! And I will consider a print copy of it, so please indicate if you are interested in that! 


What does your donation do for our youth groups? $20 can buy two boxes of glue sticks or 10 pairs of scissors. $20 can buy 3.5 metres of twill for making messenger bags, purses, and pencil cases. $20 can buy 6 pounds of melt & pour soap or a bottle each of the ingredients for body wash, bubble bath, shampoo, and facial wash (yes, I get good discounts for the groups)! $20 can buy all the veggies and fruit we have at games night and video game club. $20 can buy a ton of polymer clay or 3 packages of Shrinky Dinks if I use my coupons at Michael's. $20 can buy 3.5 kilograms of chocolate for the Hallowe'en, Christmas, and Valentine's chocolate making groups (although we generally need about 7). $20 can buy 15 canvas bags or up to 8 shirts for stencilling class.

In short, we can make $20 go a long long way! Every penny helps!

27 comments:

Tara said...

Awesome! Can't wait for the other e-books!!

Lynda said...

Wow! Can't wait to get it and finally get organized! Thanks Susan!

Richard said...

Great! Will be waiting for the other ebooks as well, especially one about surfactants.

lynda said...

Susan, I just downloaded your ebook and it's wonderful. Although I've followed your blog for quite a while, and printed out and made notes, this is wonderful having everything together. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait for the other ones!

Sierra Snow Soaps said...

Oh boy, I just sent you a pay pal. I love all the research you do and thank you so much for sharing it with us. I blogged about you today.

www.sierrasnowsoaps.blogspot.com

Michelle in NV

Mychelle said...

I just donated am so excited to read your book! I can't wit for the others as well. Thank you Susan!

Julie van Oosten said...

Hi Susan, just downloaded your ebook, just love how you experiment with everything and your descriptions of how it feels! Can't wait for your ebook on surfactants, I am a daily follower of your fabulous blog, thanks for all the inspiration and really interesting posts!

Nancy Liedel said...

Massive amounts of my hard earned money are headed your way next Thursday. You deserve donations and the thanks of your community. Oh, and I looked on a map. As Canadian distance goes, you're not far from Kamloops. Just sayin. :) You're my hero. I don't say that lightly.

Rebecca said...

Love this group! Love the research you do. You're amazing!!!

Rebecca said...

I am so excited to get these ebooks! Wow what a great idea to raise money for...

Edilee said...

Hi! just sent you donation via paypal. cant wait to get the e-book! I'd surely get more. Thanks! Edilee

Akoni's Locs & Treasures said...

Awesome... I found this blog by mistake and I am so glad I did... is there some kind of way you can provide a discount for buying more than one book..please let me know

Akoni

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Akoni. I don't offer discounts because I've written the e-books to raise money for my youth programs, and offering a discount would kind of defeat the purpose of fund raising! If you don't want to get the books, a lot of the information and most of the recipes can be found on the blog!

Genevieve said...

Hi Susan,

I am unable to view the table of contents because for some reason it is being blocked as a page. I bought the other e-book lotion101 today and was wondering about this book. Any chance that you can help me out?

Thanks!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Genevieve! I clicked it and it is working, but let's try this link - table of contents.

Jazmyn said...

I'd like to order one of your guidebooks, but I don't like to read online (and I don't have an e-reader or tablet). What is the ebook file for the ebooks (.doc, .pdf, etc.)? If I order one of the ebooks, do I have the option to print the document? Thanks.

Sew Crafty said...

I have to say I am pleased with my ebook(anhydrous).Very informative and helpful.I have scoured the web like a full crazed mad woman for any morsels of expertise and advise on making perfect lotion bars.After much wasted time and money,lots of frustration and nearly giving up on a passion to create....here I come accross this blog,one with a really crazy name by the way(I wonder how the"monkey"worked its way in there,not important,but I'd live to hear the story).Me...a sceptic.I have to check and compare and second guess and check the fact again(and again).All of the advice and information I have found here is so spot on,professional grade,great,informative,educational,promising and honest-when this author"doesn't know something"(like a NORMAL human being,they say they don't know,they don't just wing it and and make junk up to sound half intelligent.I APPRECIATE THAT HONESTY,thank you for being human like me.If this is your first stop in your search,search no more,it's all hear.If your like me,kicking yourself in the @$$ for not happening accross it sooner...so sorry,I know your pain.HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!HAPPY CREATIONS OF HEAVENLY SOFT SKIN!!One more ramble....I feel good paying this donation fee for the ebook,knowing it is helping people.I work with little ones too,lots of them,God only know how much help our little one really need.

Sarah said...

I came across your blog after I decided that a $10 (1oz) lotion bar was out of my budget. I am using your blog as a starting point in my research/ education. I was reading your part on butter profiles and you said that you consult some textbooks. I was wonder which of those you were talking about. They might be interesting to read to get a deeper understanding of things. I tried to see if you a had a section on your resources but I wasn't able to find it. I love all the information that you provide. I find myself kicking myself for saying I dont need chemistry in my life while I was at high school.Thanks so much.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Here's a post called where do I find my information? You can see where I find the information for the blog!

Ann Whitaker said...

Hi, I just donated for one of the books. I'm fairly new to making products, but loving it so far. Just wondered if you had any plans for a cream soap, whipped soap, bubble bath and shower gel book.
Thanks for all the information.
I love the blog!

Ann

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Ann. I don't make soap, but I have recipes for body wash and bubble bath in the site. Do a search for them or look at the section called "surfactants, other than hair care products". Thanks for donating!

Susan M. said...

Donated for this book also! What a wonderful cause, a fabulous blog, and a giving heart you have! Love!!! Looking forward to the e-books!

Kristin said...

Hi! I'm hoping that this book is still available? Let me know, and I will donate for it. :) Thanks for all your incredibly hard work to make this such an amazing resource.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Yes, it is!

Babou said...

Hi Susan,

thanks for sharing your work! I just sent the donation via paypal. Looking forward to discover the ebook!

Dooma said...

I really appreciate all of your hard work! Thank you so much. I'm so excited about this book :D

Herbqueen51 said...

Hi Susan, just sent a donation for your fabulous e book. Thank you for all of your work. I have learnt so much from you and your blog and I admire your work very much. Also working with youth clubs, very inspiring .
Best wishes
Jacqui Apostolides.