Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tinosan SDC: Preservative and deodorant

Tinosan SDC is a water soluble silver salt of citric acid (INCI citric acid (and) silver citrate) that has a pH of 1.4 to 1.6. It is a colourless, low viscosity liquid that works as an anti-microbial preservative (bacteria, yeast, and mould) for our products and a deodorant active at 0.1% to 0.3%. It is water soluble and should be added in the cool down phase at less than 50˚C. It is considered by some to be a natural preservative. (I can't tell you why this one is considered more natural than the others as they are still processed...)

Tinosan is suitable for surfactant mixes, gels, and emulsions that have a pH below 7, and it will not cloud your products. It is not compatible with cationic ingredients so please don't use it in your conditioners or lotions using BTMS as the emulsifier, or any products that include cationic polymers, like polyquat 7 or honeyquat. Don't expose products with Tinosan to light, so make sure you package them in opaque containers, and keep them in a cool dark place. Although Tinosan doesn't have a shelf life as such, it is recommended to use products including this preservative within a year. Store the Tinosan in a cool, dark place in your workshop.

I cannot stress this whole opaque containers, storing in a cool dark place part. This product will degrade with light and won't act as an effective preservative if you are putting it into clear bottles or jars. I know I have the deodorant products you'll see over the next few days in clear containers - that's all I had in the house at the time, and I wanted to test the feeling and consistency of the products that day. Make sure all your containers are opaque! 

It is suitable for clear products and you can combine it with other preservatives if you want. Tinosan is water soluble, so it's not appropriate for anhydrous products. When using this preservative, remember to include it at 0.1% to 0.3% in the cool down phase (under 50˚C) of your product. When we're making deodorants, we use Tinosan around 0.3% in the cool down phase as an anti-bacterial ingredient. It's considered a deodorant active as well as a preservative.

Click here if you'd like to see the data sheet on this preservative.

Join me tomorrow to learn more about using Tinosan in your deodorants.

13 comments:

p said...

Hi Susan,

Do you know if dark colored glass containers (e.g. amber or cobalt blue glass) are good enough for products containing Tinosan?

Thanks!
P

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi p. I don't know the answer to this. The data sheet states "the product preferably stored in containers that provide protection from light". I interpret this to mean opaque containers - I don't think glass containers of any colour would provide enough protection to stop the chemical reaction and degradation of Tinosan.

Having said this, I could be wrong...but it seems like such an important part of using Tinosan that I wouldn't trust the bottles.

Anonymous said...

Can we use Tinosan for toothpastes

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

There is no indication on the data sheet that Tinosan is safe for oral use, so I wouldn't use it for toothpastes.

Jessica said...

Just thought I would add this:

I believe colored glass is a safe choice for light-sensitive materials. Amber is for sure; but I think cobalt is ok, too. Dark green may also be lsafe for light-sensitive materials. Here's a link which I used to verify that amber containers are safe for light-sensitive products:

http://www.wheaton.com/b2cwhn/wheatonpkg/productcap.jsp;saplb_*=(whmm10508_C1P_00)1276350

I couldn't find a reliable source for the other colors; don't have much time to research at the moment!

Bri said...

Thank you so much for your extensive information on preservatives! I am interested in Tinosan, but concerned about your warning not to use it with cationic ingredients like honeyquat. Can you help me better understand why this incompatibility exists? I love the honeyquat I put in my shampoo! I'd like to understand if it just weakens the efficacy of Tinosan, or if there is another, more egregious, reaction that occurs. Could using Tinosan in conjuction with other preservatives be the answer?

Annalisa said...

Hello Susan and all,

Do you know whether Tinosan SDC is suitable in combination with hydrolized proteins (these should also be cationic, right)?

Thanks!!
Annalisa

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

HI Bri. I'm not sure why it isn't compatible - sorry I'm not more helpful. It can be made ineffective by cationics, so I wouldn't take the chance in using it. I guess my question is why would you use it with another preservative? Why not just use another preservative for that application?

Hi Annalisa. I wouldn't take the chance in using it with hydrolyzed proteins as they are at least slightly cationic.

Sherry said...

I'm fairly new at making lotion. I'm a bit confused on how to figure how much preservative to use. Do I add up all ingredients and then multiply by the percent recommended? Is there a site somewhere that can help me figure that out?

Shauna Rudd said...

Hi Sherry, I'm new at this, too. I also really doubt my math skills, so I'd also appreciate some clarification as well. In the meantime, I've been using this: http://www.percentagecalculator.co/

Frances said...

Hi Susan,
Thank you for all your information about preservatives. You've inspired me to try Tinosan, which I understand is now called Silverion. But I can't find a stockist in the UK. If I buy it from Lotioncrafter the shipping costs over three times the ingredient, so that's no good.
So I'm hoping you or somebody else can tell me if they know a stockist in the UK.
Love your blog. I'm new to making skin care and you're such a goldmine of information!
Thanks, Frances

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Sherry & Shauna! I've written a post on this topic that you can find by clicking here!. The short answer is that you check the suggested usage rate - for instance, liquid Germall Plus is 0.5% - and add that to the product. Check the post I've written as it's really easy to add preservatives to a well written recipe!

Hi Frances. Have you checked the European suppliers' list in the FAQ? There are loads of ideas for suppliers in the UK there. As well, check out the list of suppliers' listed on the right hand side of the page. It's a pretty extensive list!

Megan Donnelly said...

Im trying to perfect a body spray recipe that has a water base with vegetable glycerin and witch hazel, fragrance oils or essential oils. I am new to bath and body creations, so i was wondering if this would be the best one to use? im feeling pretty lost in a whole lot of jargon :s