Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Experiments in the workshop: A short series of whatever I feel like making that morning.

Whipped golden shea butter
I've purchased or been sent a ton of new supplies lately, ingredients with which I've never worked, so I thought it would be fun to do a kind of random series of posts on what I've been making lately in my workshop with those ingredients while I do more research for a series on preservatives or more stuff about esters. (Hey, I listened to your suggestions, but it takes time to get to all of them!)

As you know, I'm not beholden to any supplier, manufacturer, or advertiser, so even if I received the ingredients for free, I will be completely honest about my opinions of the product. If I don't like it, I'll tell you why I'm not a fan of it. If I do like it, it's because I like it not because I'm obligated to be positive!

So let's get started with the first new ingredient tomorrow - black African natural cocoa butter!


Mychelle said...

Yea! I've been curious about working with black cocoa butter. I'm going to like this series. I'm excited to learn about your experiments!

l said...

Years ago I bought a couple of pounds of Black Cocoa Butter (a co-op on the Dish). After heating the BCB there would be a layer of a dark sediment in the bottom of the container. I liked the feeling of the BCB but was bothered by the weird sediment. You might get some imput from other that bought into the co-op.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Mychelle! I hope you enjoy them. I've been going wild with new ingredients and new combinations - getting out of my mental box, as it were! I'm excited about it, too!

Hi I. I will have to watch for the sediment. I haven't seen it yet, but it's something that sounds pretty icky. I wonder if heating it on low and slow might help avoid the sediment? I still have more experimenting to do, so I'll keep you updated. If you have other suggestions, please share!

Shanna said...

Hi Susan, I wasn't sure where I should put this post but I figured under experiments might be appropriate:) I created one of your minimal synthetic ingredient lotions and it turned out perfect!! Love it. However, I made the stupid mistake of adding exfoliating extracts namely rosehip and lavender not knowing at the time that they were exfoliating lol. So now I have speckled bits of extract in my lotion. Ugggh. My question: Is it somehow possible to turn this lotion into an exfoliating product (sort of like you turn your whipped butter into a body scrub recipe but in this case we use a lotion base instead). Or a exfoliating cream cleanser? I did put in my preservative already. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this and if you might make some recommendations for me if there are any options....i would hate to waste all of these beautiful and expensive ingredients. Anyhow, just thought I would ask you since you are very knowledgeable and do much experimenting!! Thanks kindly, Shanna

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Shanna! The short answer to your question is yes. The longer answer will be found here, in Monday, December 8th's Weekday Wonderings.