Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Experiments in the workshop: Anhydrous butter & body butter modification

So I've decided. I'm making a whipped butter for my best friend with the aloe butter and some lovely oils. Part of this is that my back hurts a lot so I can't be in the workshop for a long period of time while I make a lotion and part of this is that I really like the aloe butter right now! So let's take a look at the final recipe!

Ironically, considering all the agonizing I did about choosing oils that are okay for use on broken skin, her stitches have dissolved and she doesn't have any wounds, although she does have really dry feet!

50% aloe butter
15% arnica oil
23% sesame oil
10% wheat germ oil
1% fragrance oil
1% Vitamin E

Whip the aloe butter and rest of the ingredients. Package. Rejoice.

I chose not to use a fragrance or essential oil here because I don't want her to worry about washing her hands and I don't want to include something that might hurt the tender skin. I really wanted to include the calendula oil, but I don't have any in the house at the moment, so I'll formulate the next batch with it!

If you wanted to make a lovely moisturizing body butter, please check out this post! But remove the essential oils and comfrey extract, and substitute...oh, let's just modify it here!

20% aloe vera liquid
22% lavender or chamomile hydrosol
2% hydrolyzed protein
5% calendula extract
2.5% sodium lactate
3% glycerin

15% shea or aloe butter
10% arnica oil
8% Polawax
3% cetyl alcohol
2% IPM

2% panthenol
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% preservative

I've used the arnica oil as my main oil and added the calendula extract in the water phase. I've used both aloe liquid and aloe butter to offer maximum aloe-y goodness, as well as lavender or chamomile hydrosol to help with inflammation (I went with chamomile here as I have a ton of it). You could add some powdered extracts as well, if you wanted.

And here's a balm that would be great for someone with muscle pain (no claims, just based on the ingredients). This would be great for me right now! You could use arnica at 15% in any of the balms or butters here!

Join me tomorrow for fun min-maxing your toners!

No comments: