Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Esters: A wrap-up

So what have we learned about esters so far? We've learned about the chemistry - click here for that post! - and we've learned they generally spread better and detackify other ingredients in our products, and can help reduce the feeling of greasiness from other oils. We've learned that some are oil soluble and some, like the PEG- or PPG- esters, can be water soluble. We've learned that some are surfactants, behaving as solubilizers and emulsifiers.

In short, we've learned about the awesome power of esters!

If you want to refer back to some of the ester posts, I've linked them permanently on this page, which I've changed to be Emollients: Oils, butters & esters

If you're interested in purchasing esters, I have found the following shops carry them. I have not found a place in Canada to get these ingredients, and I don't know much about Australia or Europe, so these are American suppliers. Feel free to add other suppliers with links in the comment section!
  • The Herbarie - They carry a lot of water soluble esters (look under oils & emollients - water soluble or oils & emollients). 
  • The Personal Formulator - I get most, if not all, of my esters here. (look under oils). 
  • Lotioncrafter - Look under emollients for their esters. 
A lot of suppliers carry IPM (isopropyl myristate), so check out something like the miscellaneous, or lotion supplies or other categories if you don't see it at first. And most, if not all, carry polysorbate 20 or polysorbate 80 and Crothix.

As a final note, this isn't the end of the ester series, but a break for a bit. I need to do more experimenting and research in the workshop with some of the new ones I've purchased and that might take a few weeks!

So join me tomorrow for the fun and excitement of the EXPERIMENTS IN THE WORKSHOP series, where I play with some new ingredients!

No comments: