Friday, September 17, 2010

Deodorants: A recipe with glycerin and water

So let's say you don't want to use propylene glycol in your product - you prefer glycerin - and you don't like alcohol either. There are options for making a clear deodorant stick with water and glycerin!

Here's a recipe I found from Hallstar for this kind of deodorant!

CRYSTAL CLEAR HYDROPOLYOLIC DEODORANT STICK BASE
81% glycerin
10% water
6% sodium stearate
0.3% triclosan
2% emollient
0.7% fragrance oil

Heat the glycerin and water to 85˚C, then add the sodium stearate. Mix until melted and clear. Add the emollient and remove from the heat. When cooled to lower than 50˚C, add the triclosan and pour into deodorant containers.

I used PPG-3 benzyl ether myristate (aka Crodamol STS) as my 2% emollient and I added 1% fragrance oil (again, I used Yuzu from Brambleberry as a light and airy scent, but you could use anything you wanted) and removed 1% from the water amount. It felt really lovely on my skin, very glidy and light.

One small problem, though. About two days later, the container was filled with all the water the glycerin had attracted from the air (I didn't put the cap on as I was taking pictures of it and simply forgot!) and it was slimy. It really didn't help using water in this recipe as well! This is one of the huge down sides of using glycerin as your polyol in a deodorant, especially if you're including water - it's a very hygroscopic (water attracting) ingredient. Propylene glycol does this as well, but not as much as glycerin.

Most of the recipes you'll see for a deodorant contain propylene glycol for this very reason. If you don't like propylene glycol, you can try yesterday's recipe with glycerin in its place, but be warned you might end up with a watery slimy mess!

Join me tomorrow for yet another deodorant recipe!

13 comments:

Madeaj said...

Hi Susan

Can you use Hydrovance in place of the Glycerin or is the percentage too high?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Madeaj. No. We need to use a polyol or an alcohol with multiple hydroxyl groups to make the chemical reaction happen. Hydrovance is a humectant, but it's not a polyol, so you wouldn't get the gelling action. You could include a little in the mix for extra humectant-y action without stickiness, but you can't use it as the main ingredient.

Baron1705 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jwag13 said...

Triclosan is toxic.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi jwag13. Welcome to the blog! This is an evidence based blog, so you'll need to back up your statements with science. Links to reputable studies or sources will do. Please note that groups like EWG are not considered scientific or reputable sources. I look forward to seeing what information you provide.

Rose said...

To Jwag13, Tricoslan is not Tinosan. I see this in many places where people are warning agaisnt Tinosan "because Tricoslan is bad". Maybe Tricoslan is bad, but that has nothing to do with Tinosan since it isn't the same product.

Anyways, Susan, I was wondering what your opinion on Tinosan is. I read your post on Tinosan, but I also saw in many of your other posts that you haven't found any natural preservatives that work as well as the one you typically use (I'm not sure if you consider Tinosan natural though). Do you find that it preserves well? Also, is it possible to keep the product at room temperature? (May seem silly, but I want to be 100% sure).

Thanks!

Rose said...

Oops! I probably should have read better. Sorry Jwag13. It did say Tricoslan in the ingredient list. The reason why I thought it was Tinosan is in the previous post it said that tomorrow (this post) will be about deodorants with Tinosan. Sorry!

tthoma81 said...

Hi Susan,

I'm trying to make a deodorant stick with vegetable glycerin but would like to make it more firm without adding alcohol or propylene glycol. Do you have any suggestions for ingredients I can add that might achieve this effect? I know nothing about the chemical reaction between the glycerin and sodium stearate that causes the initial gelling effect so I'm at a loss as far as what might achieve the desired results.

thanks :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi tthoma81! Have you looked at the other recipes I've posted about deodorant on the blog? There are some suggestions in those posts!

tthoma81 said...

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

I have read several of them but I cannot locate one which specifically mentions what I could add to this formula to make it thicker.

thanks :)
-Tyler

DeeAnna said...

tthoma81 -- it's largely the sodium stearate that is the thickener in the recipes Susan is sharing. That's what you need to look at adding.

Kim said...

What is the purpose of triclosan? Does it serve an essential function? Can I omit and replace it something else ie. water? If so, what?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Kim. No, it is essential in a deodorant as an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal as well as a preservative. If you don't use it, you don't have a preservative in there. You can use another one, if you wish, though. But you don't have any deodorizing properties in the product, which means it's not a deodorant.