Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Esters: A body oil spray!

Lissa wrote in this post on body oil spraysHave you tried an ester in a body spray? C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate? I love, love light weight sprayable lotions or after shower oil sprays.

I generally use an ester in my body spray - I like to include IPM because it reduces the feeling of greasiness - but I've never made one that is all esters. Thanks for the great idea, Lissa!

BODY OIL SPRAY WITH ESTERS
30% cetearyl ethylhexanoate
23% C12-15 alkyl benzoate
45% capric/caprylic triglycerides
2% fragrance oil (I used white tea & ginger!)

Get a spray bottle. Add all the ingredients. Use. Rejoice.

I am loving this spray! It spreads very easily and feels very light and non-greasy - remember's yesterday's post on spreadability, tackiness, and viscosity - and it feels like it sinks into my skin quickly, which is always nice during the summer months. Look at the colour - it's crystal clear, and that's interesting!

If you don't have these esters, here's a version without them. If you don't have all these esters - and I'm fairly sure most people haven't just spent a fortune on supplies - you can substitute the capric/caprylic triglycerides with fractionated coconut oil and still have a very light feeling product. 


How did I come up with these amounts in the recipe? I just kinda played with the skin feel. I started with 20% C12-15 alkyl benzoate and thought I wanted to make it feel lighter, hence the cetearyl ethylhexanoate. I would have added more, but I don't have a very large bottle of it, so I added the capric/caprylic triglycerides because I have a ton of those. I chose to use 2% fragrance oil because 1% simply wasn't enough for my tastes, especially with a light fragrance like white tea & ginger. The great thing about making an anhydrous product like this is the playing - you can add something, try it and tweak away immediately - and, like oils, it's easy to see how esters feel on your skin straight out of the bottle.

As a note, I've found that mixing a vanilla based fragrance - in my case, Cream Cheese Frosting from Brambleberry - with cetearyl ethylhexanoate causes a slightly off and synthetic smell, so I'd avoid those in recipes with vanilla. I'm not sure why this ester messes with vanilla, but it's done it every time!

As a quick note, both my mother and best friend are loving this product. Wanda noted that it's great for your legs after shaving, and my mom has been using it after bathing. It really does retain the fragrance for a long time - I can smell it on my skin the next morning, which doesn't happen often! And although I can smell the fragrance on my bed linens, it's not leaving any grease or stains on my sheets! 

Intrigued by esters? Join me tomorrow for a post on C12-15 alkyl benzoate!

4 comments:

Meaue said...

As I am becoming an ester fanatic, and I have all these ingredients -- so, I am going to give this one a try. Never used body oil sprays much - but if I remember, I didn't like the oily sprays. This should be better... My son is helping me with understanding the chemistry of esters. for a non-chemistry person, I am finally understanding a little! It is so exciting and applicable in other areas once you gain some basic facts and understandings!

Row said...

I always have been an ester fan. But I don't think I would have thought of using them this way. Excellent post!!

Meaue said...

This is amazing - does not feel greasy at all. Both my daughter and I were amazed - waiting for the greasy feel, but feels like it just goes away. I like the bonus of the fragrance fixative-ness. I smell good nearly all day! This is great for summer months - it would be fun to tweak for the coming cooler and windier months. What do you think?

Lissa said...

Susan - missed your blog for the past week and am catching up. Glad you tried using an ester in a body oil spray. In the summer I never leave the shower w/o spritzing with body spray or sprayable lotion. I rarely need lotion after that (except my hands)... and we have little to humidity in the summer.
I know I say thank you alot but I honestly do appreciate ALL the work you do for your readers.
Lissa