So what have we learned about making shampoo?
- Pick the right surfactants for your hair.
- A daily use shampoo has about 15% surfactants.
- A not-for-daily use shampoo has about 25% to 40% surfactants.
- Dry hair types need to use fewer surfactants, from 15% to 25% in any shampoo.
- A clarifying shampoo doesn't contain conditioning agents or silicones.
- A conditioning shampoo contains conditioning agents and/or silicones.
- A moisturizing shampoo contains humectants and emollients, like oils or glycol distearate.
- A conditioning, moisturizing shampoo contains conditioning agents and/or silicones, and emollients.
- A 2-in-1 shampoo contains lots of conditioning agents and/or silicones.
- There's no good definition for a "strengthening shampoo", although it does tend to be sulphate free and contains conditioners and proteins.
- Susan can't come up with good names for recipes.
- Making your own shampoo is awesome and addictive.
Join me tomorrow for fun with conditioners!