Monday, May 31, 2010

Shampoo: Making a 2-in-1 conditioning shampoo (dry hair)

If you're a dry haired girl, a 2-in-1 shampoo is probably a bad idea. It simply won't offer all the conditioning and moisturizing you want in a product and might make your hair feel really awful. But it's not for me to judge what is right for your hair, so here's a modification to the above recipe for dry haired types! (This would make a fine daily use shampoo for dry hair, but I'd include more oils and moisturizers for your hair type.)

DAILY USE 2-IN-1 SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER FOR DRY HAIR
PHASE A
50% water
8% anionic surfactant
5% cocamidopropyl betaine
5% polyquat 7 or honeyquat
5% glycerin
2% hydrolyzed protein
2% glycol distearate
3% PEG-7 olivate (water soluble oil) or PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate
10% aloe vera

PHASE B
4% dimethicone or water soluble dimethicone
2% panthenol
0.5% to 1% preservative
1% fragrance oil or essential oil

PHASE C
2% liquid Crothix

Yep, even with glycol distearate and/or PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate you might need the Crothix for thickening as this will be quite watery. You will likely need more than 2% Crothix, but let it sit overnight before adding any Crothix to the mixture.

There is an easy way to incorporate some serious conditioning into a 2-in-1 shampoo using our cationic compounds like BTMS and cetrimonium bromide, and we'll be looking at that tomorrow. How can we do this with something that isn't water soluble and will precipitate out of solution? Well, you'll just have to tune in tomorrow, won't you?

7 comments:

Aljonor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aljonor said...

Hi Susan:
I want to make a conditioning shampoo using BTMS, but I don't want to use the bars. I was going to use the formula in page 116 of your hair e-book and replace the glycol distearate with BTMS and heat it separately. Do you think this is a good idea? or do you think I should just omit the hardners on page 120 and replace them with water?. I have seen this type of product on the shelf and am trying to make something similar to see if I like it for my hair. I will be conditioning afterwards, just wanted to experiment. Thanks a mil

Aljonor said...

sorry Susan:

I think I just found something on the blog about no poo concept. thanks

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Alijonor. I'm confused because I don't know how the no shampoo concept replaces the question you asked above.

No, you can't use BTMS in the liquid shampoo. It doesn't work well and will eventually come out of the liquid and make a mess. You will want to use a cationic polymer to offer conditioning to the product.

Wendy Gaechter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Gaechter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Guthrie said...

Aloe Vera juice is a bit difficult to get ahold of for me. Is there something I could use as a replacement?