Saturday, April 10, 2010

What makes a shampoo clarifying?

What's the difference between a clarifying shampoo and a regular shampoo? Clarifying shampoos are intended to remove the styling agents you've been using while curling or straightening, so they don't contain conditioning agents or silicones.

You'll notice I don't tend to use conditioning agents or dimethicone in my shampoo recipes. The reason for this is simple - I know I'll be using a good conditioner after I wash my hair, as will all the people to whom I give my shampoo, so it seems like a waste to add ingredients that aren't necessary. If I were to sell my products, I would make sure I added dimethicone or a cationic polymer to the shampoo just in case my customers decided to skip the conditioning and go straight to the styling products.

No comments: