Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Orchid extract

Orchids are not only beautiful, but apparently they can reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles, behave as an anti-oxidant and humectant, moisturize, soothe, and condition our skin. The new big thing seems to be orchid extract, but the only information I can find in all my research is that it is considered awesome and generally ends up in expensive sounding or costing commercial products (but ironically, it's about $5.00 for 4 ounces of the oil soluble stuff...)

You can get orchid extract in liquid form, water soluble or oil soluble. In its water soluble form, you'll find it mixed with PEG-6 caprylic/capric glycerides and flower extract (in other words, water soluble fractionated coconut oil) and in the oil soluble form it's mixed with fractionated coconut oil. The water soluble extract is mixed into the cool down phase at 2% to 10%, whereas the oil soluble one can be mixed into the oil phase of your lotions and potion.

It is suggested for use in hair and body care products. As I've never used this ingredient, it's hard for me to comment on its efficacy, feeling, or formulating ease, so I'll send you off to the manufacturer's site for some recipes. They offer ideas for skin care and hair care products, as well as other products (like waterproof mascara). I hope this helps!

If you have some good links, book or article suggestions, or other reliable information about orchid extract, e-mail me or comment below!


Sierra Snow Soaps said...

I just love your blog! Do you spend all your free time doing research? On your chemicals do you draw them yourself or do you use drawings from the net? That is one of the coolest things, I love the pictures of the chemical stuctures as much as I like reading about the ingredient descriptions and what they do. Thanks for the great reading material!
Michelle in NV

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Michelle! I generally wake up early and do all my research and writing in the morning before work. I love researching and learning, and I wish I had more time. Unfortunately, a lot of that time is coming out of my own workshop time, and I have to rectify that soon!

If I won the lottery, I'd take a short vacation from work, then go back part time and go to school part time! (Did I mention I love my job?)

I use drawings I find on wikipedia and other public domain sites. I wish I could draw them, but I'm completely inept at drawing by hand or on the computer, so I leave that to the experts. I love the molecules. I bought a molecular kit so I could make Tinkertoy versions of the molecules I love, and I need to get silk screening so I can have awesome molecule shirts!

Emm said...

where can i get orchid extract.. i'm from canada and been trying to find it

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Emm. I have no idea where to get it in Canada - sorry. I can't even find a place in the States any more.

Leona said...

I love this! Its so exoctic