Monday, February 15, 2010

Grapeseed extract: Formulating hair care products

Grapeseed extract can reduce cell proliferation and there's some talk it could help with hair growth (although I'm always dubious about claims like that). It would make a great addition to a shampoo or conditioner intended for dandruff prone hair!

I'm thinking of including a little rosemary extract to the mix as well. (Click here for ideas on including rosemary extract in hair care products!) Since we've just done a liquid shampoo, let's take a look at using grapeseed extract in solid shampoo and conditioner bars!

30% SCI flakes
30% SLSa
13.5% DLS mild
10% Bioterge 804
3% cetyl alcohol
3% Incroquat BTMS
2% orange butter
2% Incroquat CR

1% hydrolyzed oat protein
1% panthenol
1% dimethicone
2% oily hair blend - equal parts rosemary, sage, cedarwood, and key lime
0.5% grapeseed extract
0.5% rosemary extract
0.5% to 1% preservative - I use liquid Germall Plus

Click the link above for a visual tutorial and instructions for the shampoo bar. As a suggestion, combine the oat protein, panthenol, and preservative in a small container and use this to dissolve the extracts. Add those to the cool down phase of the shampoo bar.

In the conditioner bars, add 0.5% grape seed extract and 0.5% rosemary extract to the watery parts of the cool down phase (panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, 0.5% preservative) to dissolve, then add to the liquidy phase as normal. (Note: I am including 0.5% to 1% preservative in both these recipes because of the botanical nature of the extracts!)

Join me tomorrow for fun formulating with comfrey root.


Tulsi said...

Hello Susan.
What preservative would be best for this solid shampoo? I would like some Ecocert or really mild one.

Thank you.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Tulsi! As I mention in the recipe, I use liquid Germall Plus.

Tulsi said...

Hi Susan. I am sorry, I red it that you use the liquid Germall Plus. I wanted the Ecocert better, but now I have gone trough many of your posts about preservatives, so I am more cleveĊ•now, thank you very much.