Friday, January 29, 2010

Extracts - need your ideas!

As you can tell, the next series I'm moving on to researching extracts, and I wondered which ones interested you, my amazing readers! Here's what I've got planned so far...
  • cucumber
  • grapeseed
  • wheat grass
  • chamomile
  • chyrsanthemum
  • green tea
  • guava fruit
  • honeysuckle
  • papaya
  • rosemary
  • seaweed
  • strawberry
I know there are others, but my brain is drawing a blank! What hydrosols and extracts interest you? Let me know!


Meaue said...

Here are some more ideas - I have these and would love to know more...

Licorice Root

Thanks for asking for suggestions! I look forward to more posts on extracts!

Anonymous said...

And some other ideas:
olive leaf
Thanks so much!

Hillary said...

How about Helichrysum ( aka Immortelle?)

Also, it'd be great to hear the differences (pros/cons) between extracts and hydrosols.

Thanks for asking!

Lissa said...

How about Algae extract? I've noticed it's become very popular in commercial skincare lines. ie: Shu Uemura from Japan. So looking forward to your next blog!
Happy Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Sorry if this sounds silly but is there a difference between a fruit powder (i.e. powdered strawberries)and a fruit extract?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Great suggestions! I've got my work cut out for me!

As for the difference between a fruit powder and extract - it depends on the supplier. For the most part, they are one and the same. But there can be differences in strength (you'll see 4:1 or 10:1 listed) or differences in the bits they used to make the extract - for instance, stems and leaves vs. berries (you see this with sea buckthorn, for instance, as a pulp oil or seed oil).

One of the biggest problems with extracts is the lack of consistency between manufacturers and suppliers. There isn't a standard definition, so you can add fillers or other ingredients other than the extract named, and there's no telling how strong the extract will be. That's why it's a hard subject to research and a hard product to buy at times!

Look for more posts coming up in the next few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I have indigo naturalis powder and yellow dock root (pieces) and want to make tinctures out of these - would that be the same as extracts? They are both to go into a cream for psoriasis. or do you put in the powder directly... so many questions!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
What do you think about the C02 extracts such as the ones sold at The Herbarie? I have the pomegranite one and what I really like is that it is oil soluble so it can be added to a anhydrous serum.

suzieiq said...

I love your blog, Susan. This is my first time commenting ever on your blog. I am interested in making an anhydrous serum with a powdered fruit extract like Guava Fruit ("Sparingly soluble in hydro-alcoholic solutions"). I do not want to use a grain alcohol to dissolve it because it's not nourishing to the skin. "Sparingly soluble" concerns me because I do not want to start filtering particles out. Is there a way to combine raw materials to dissolve this effectively? Is there a Lecithin / wax / oil combination that works synergistically?

If I had to, I could use glycerin (but it contains water) to dissolve it somewhat but I'd probably need to partner it with something else.... Do you have any suggestions?