Saturday, November 7, 2009

Rice bran oil in a hand lotion

I scatter bottles of hand lotion all around my world during the winter - in the car, at the office, beside the computer, on my bedside table - because I consider it essential for the fall and winter months! And I love rice bran oil in this recipe.

What do I want in a hand lotion? Obviously I want moisturizing and softening of my skin. I would like something occlusive so my hands are protected from the outside world. I want lots of good humectants in there to draw water from the atmosphere to my hands. I don't want something too greasy, but I need some good oils and butters in this recipe to get what I want. So I'll use some IPM to reduce the greasiness.

Rice bran oil will give us all the goodness of linoleic and oleic acid, and either shea butter and mango butter will give us softening and regenerating properties.

If you want to formulate this with more than one oil, I have found a combination of fractionated coconut oil, soy bean oil, and rice bran oil offers a wonderful skin feel. The FCO is very light, the soy bean is light, and the rice bran oil is medium and each brings something different to the lotion.

58.5% water
3% glycerin
2% sodium lactate
2% hydrolyzed protein - I like hydrolyzed oat protein

15% rice bran oil
5% shea or mango butter
3% cetyl alcohol
6.5% emulsifier (I like Polawax in this recipe)
2% IPM

1% cyclomethicone*
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% to 1% preservative

Notes: The HLB of this recipe is 8.558 (or 8.6) if you want to create your own emulsification system.
The recipe doesn't total 100% because of the difference in possible preservatives.
And if you're not a fan of silicones, then feel free to leave it out - and increase the water by 1% - or use a silicone alternative. The cyclomethicone is in here because I like the slip and glide it offers to my recipe.

1. Weigh out your water phase in a heat proof container and place it in a double boiler.

2. Weigh out your oil phase in a heat proof container and place it in a double boiler.

3. Heat and hold both containers at 70C for at least 20 minutes. When you've done this, pour the water phase into the oil phase and blend incredibly well to help with emulsification.

4. Blend with a hand mixer or stick blender for at least 3 minutes. Repeat this process as often as you would like until the temperature reaches 45C.

5. Let cool to 45C, then add your fragrance or essential oil, cyclomethicone, and preservative. Mix well with your hand mixer or stick blender, then let cool.

6. When the mixture has cooled to room temperature (a few hours), put into a pump bottle or malibu/tottle bottle and use!

Rice bran oil is a wonderful addition to any body butter or sugar scrub for the winter months. If you haven't tried rice bran oil yet, I suggest you hie thyself to the nearest supply store and get some. It really is a lovely addition to skin care products, and it can be used in pretty much any product you care to make.

Join me tomorrow for fun with avocado oil!


Loria said...

I certainly have learned a great deal from the Point of Interest! You are an excellent teacher :). Your explanations are thorough and fairly easily understood (I say fairly because I am not a chemistry major:). My only wish is to soon make a lotion or cream. Just have not had the time. I have been making lotions/soaps for a few years, although intermittently. I am also a member of The Dish, another excellent learning forum. Just wanted to thank you for graciously sharing your knowledge with us.

Danica said...

I know this is an old post but I made this last night because I'm in serious need for a good hand lotion.
I followed the recipe exactly except for the Cyclo, I didn't have any so I added 1% to the water phase and I added some DL Panthenol. This lotion has a great feel and seems to stick around nicely but it's a bit sticky. Does anyone know if that's from the Glycerin? I like to stick with Sodium Lactate but I figured I would see what Glycerin brought to the party and I'm thinking I don't like it if that is what is causing the stickiness. :-( Other than that it would be a perfect for me hand lotion.
I guess I will look into another humectant.

Danuta Kildan said...

I can not find on blog which phase I use it. Mine IPM looks like water and it does not seem to go to oil phase. I used it in water phase, but I started to wonder am I doing right?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

No, IPM is oil soluble, so it goes into the oil phase. It can handle heat well. Check out this post on IPM for more information.

Danuta Kildan said...

Thank you so much Susan; oil it is:)