Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sesame oil!

Sesame oil (not the roasted kind you'd used in cooking!) is another oil high in linoleic acid (about 40%), with almost equal amounts of oleic acid (45.4%), with some palmitic (9.1%), stearic (4.3%), and arachidic (0.8%) fatty acids thrown in for good measure. It's incredibly high in phytosterols - 865 mg per 100 grams - which means it is great for combatting weather damaged skin, reducing inflammation, and softening skin.

We'll be taking a look a oleic acid tomorrow, but as it does resemble some of the fatty acids found in human sebum, it offers great moisture regulation and possible skin regenerative properties. It is fantastic for apres sun applications, and softening.

Sesame oil contains a polyphenol called a lignan, which is the structural backbone for most anti-oxidants. These exhibit anti-inflammatoryand antiseptic effects (but don't use it as a preservative!) It is showing great promise in regulating sebum production and may help with acne prone skin.

Sesame oil has an interesting feature - it won't stain clothes or sheets - so it's a fantastic massage oil or post shower-before dressing kind of moisturizer. It's a light to medium weight oil with low comedogenicity, so it is suitable for facial or body moisturizers. And because it's well balanced between the linoleic acid and the oleic acid, it offers features of both oils! It should have a shelf life of 9 to 12 months because of the fewer double bonds found in the oleic acid, but it can vary by supplier. And remember to always add some Vitamin E to your mix to stave off rancidity!

For a massage oil, consider using a mix of sesame seed oil and fractionated coconut oil (or another very light, non-staining oil) to give you some serious slip. Add a little Vitamin E and a fragrance or essential oil, and you've got a nice massage oil for those sore muscles!

MASSAGE OIL WITH SESAME OIL
50% sesame oil
48% fractionated coconut oil
1% Vitamin E
1% fragrance oil or essential oil (at safe usage rates)

Mix together, then pour into a bottle that will be easy to use while offering a massage!

AFTER BATH OIL WITH SESAME OIL
66% sesame oil
32% IPM (optional - substitute with more sesame oil or fractionated coconut oil)
1% Vitamin E
1% fragrance or essential oil

Mix your oils together, then pour into a spray bottle for apres bath or shower use. I've included the IPM to make this feel less greasy. Again, you can mix this with any oils you want, but fractionated coconut oil is the best choice because you'll want something that won't stain clothing or sheets.

Join me tomorrow for fun with oleic acid!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only body oil that has ever actually worked for me is Neutrogena Body Oil. I was wondering how could I make a "clone"? Or would the ingredients to make it myself be more expensive than just buying it at $10 for 8.5 oz.? And what is that lovely scent it has? It's so light and delightful to me.

Here are the ingredients I have found for it:

Here’s a peek at just exactly what it is you are putting on your body when you use the 32 oz Neutrogena Body Oil:

* Isopropyl Myristate
* Sesame Seed Oil (Sesamum Indicum)
* PEG 40 Sorbitan Peroleate
* Propylparaben
* BHT
* Fragrance


This stuff works sooooooooo good on me that it's all I can do not to use it all the time because of the expense. I hope there's a cheaper alternative that I can make myself?

Thanks for your help! K_Angel

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, can you explain to me what you've meant by non staining? Does it mean the oil wont seep into fabric or is it easily washable? I have some article of clothing which have some kind of oil rancid smell even after laundered. Are those oil stains. I'm using oils made from Almond, Macadamia and Jojoba. When you say Sesame can be mixed with another non-staining oil, besides Fractionated coconut, what else is non-staining. Does Jojoba stain? Thank you for the help :D
Marie Ann

Lisa Reidzans Schmock said...

Bought some sesame oil. OMG does it stink. Smells like bad asparagus to me ;/ Maybe I got the wrong kind, I think its got cooking, but it doesnt smell like the stuff I get from the grocery store. At any rate, anybody got suggestions where to buy Sesame oil from? I got mine at Mountain Rose Herb. I'll try one more brand and give up if it still stinks. It might just be me ;)

Carmit80 said...

Hi! Always a pleasure to read your blog Susan! My question is, how much should we consider allergic reactions to oils should we want to sell a product containing them. I know people who have sesame allergies, I've been reading so much here on how great this oil is, but would this oil and maybe some of the nut oils be high risk for nut/sesame allergy prone people? Or since it is applied topically, does none of this apply?!! Thank you,
Carmit