Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mineral make-up filler round up (with iron oxides): Micronaspheres

If you haven't figure it out by now, then let me declare my love of micronaspheres! I use these in just about every product I make because I love the oil absorption and I love the way they feel on my skin. You can use them at up to 100%, so they are an ideal filler. Let's see if they play well with matte pigments! (And in the interest of science, I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. I love the other fillers as well, but not as much as micronaspheres!)

As with the other fillers in this series of experiments, I used 1 cc Aster matte pigment blend (same batch as the others) and added 0.15 cc (13% by volume) micronaspheres. I saw no change. I was getting impatient because it seemed like nothing added this morning was going to change colour, so I went stampeding towards 1 cc pigment grind and 3 scoops (0.45 cc or 31%) micronaspheres. Really no change. It did feel a little glidier, but I saw no change in the colour or the shine. With 7 scoops (1.05 cc or about 50%), I could see the change. Good adhesion, some change in the transparency, but still no shine. This wouldn't make a bad eye shadow, but still a little too much for my tastes. Finally, I made up a batch with 1 cc colour grind and 2.05 cc micronaspheres (about 66%). Well, there you go. Good adhesion, lighter by enough so I would wear it, but still really no shine.

Then I realized something...micronaspheres are incredibly light. A 57 gram container (2 ounces) takes up an 8 ounce jar. Perhaps if I played with it by weight?

So I used 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml or 2.5 cc) micronaspheres and 1 cc colour grind. Each weighed 0.5 grams. What a difference!

The picture on the left is 1.05 cc micronaspheres with 1 cc colour grind. The picture on the right contains 0.5 grams of colour grind with 0.5 grams micronaspheres. You can see the difference in intensity between the two colours. You can't feel the different in glide - much better with the weighed version - or the difference in shine - very nice, subtle but there. And the adhesion is so different between the two. The volume version is fine, the weighted version is awesome.

And here's the difference on my arm. The top is the weighed version, the bottom the volume version. I think you could use both - they do complement each other well - but I would want to use the weighed version for every day use, the volume version for an eye liner.

Join me tomorrow for fun with weights and volumes!

No comments: