Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mineral make-up filler round-up (with iron oxides): Talc

For more information on talc, please click here. For more information on talc as a filler with micas, please click here.

The grind: I used the Aster matte pigment grind from TKB Trading. I doubled the recipe to be...
3.2 grams manganese violet
1.0 grams ultramarine pink
1.0 grams ultramarine blue

I did not include any base as I'm testing fillers.

1 cc colour grind to 2 scoops talc (23%). No real colour change - I'd go as far to say the colour seems identical to my eye both of my hand and the chart, although it's more transparent on my hand. It rubs off too easily for my taste. Although it isn't as grippy as the colour grind alone.

1 cc colour grind to 4 scoops talc (37.5%). No real colour change on the chart, but it is getting more transparent on my hand. Still rubs off too easily, but it's starting to feel more silky and less grippy!

1 cc colour grind to 5 scoops talc (43%). Very very transparent on my hand, although there's no real change in the colour! It is starting to resist rub off, although it kind of leaves more of a stain behind in the creases and lines of my hand than a colour.

I was quite surprised at just how transparent the talc was in the mixture, not changing the colours but adding some transparency and silkiness as I increased the percentage. When mixing it with the micas, I found it did make the pink a little pinkier, so I did expect some colour change! Very nice.

As you can see from the chart, the colour simply doesn't change! As I noted above, it is getting more transparent on my hand, but that isn't showing up in the colour chart. Talc alone would be a great addition if you're trying to transparent up your eye shadows, for instance, without morphing the colour. It offers some nice slip and glide, and is supposed to be good at oil absorption, which means your colours should stay true during the day (I'm still testing out this idea on my own skin! Results soon!).

No comments: