Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mineral make-up filler round-up (with iron oxides): Titanium dioxide

I'm posting two posts a day just to keep them separate!

And now for more on titanium dioxide! (To see titanium dioxide in action as a filler with mica, please click here...)

The grind: I used the Aster matte pigment grind from TKB Trading. I doubled the recipe to be...
3.2 grams manganese violet
1.0 grams ultramarine pink
1.0 grams ultramarine blue

I did not include any base as I'm testing fillers.

1 scoop colour grind to 1 scoop titanium dioxide (50%). The colour went very pale with no shine whatsoever. It was hard to rub it off my hand - great adhesion.

1 scoop colour grind to 2 scoops titanium dioxide (66%). Incredibly pale, ridiculously pale, so pale a very pale girl from the 60s who liked to wear very pale make-up would balk at it. Hard to rub off my hand - great adhesion.

3 scoops colour grind to 2 scoops titanium dioxide (40%). Matte and pale. A lot paler than I would wear, and no sparkle whatsoever. Still great adhesion.

4 scoops colour grind to 2 scoops titanium dioxide (33%). Finally a decent colour, and not so pale. I would wear this colour. No sparkle, which makes it a good matte colour. Great adhesion.

And a note on the colours...You can't see the true changes for the titanium dioxide in the pictures above because the white isn't showing up on the sheet - only the colour shows up. On my hand you can see (right to left) 50%, 66%, 40%, and 33%. You can see how the colour starts off incredibly pale, almost white, then changes to be something you'd actually wear.

In every version, the titanium dioxide added extra drag to a colour blend that is inherently draggy, making it a veritable festival of grippiness than no sane person would want to use on a delicate eye area, let alone as a blush or foundation.

Here is the colour chart for the titanium dioxide, although it's not as helpful as the picture of my hand above for showing you how the colours change!

No comments: