Sunday, July 19, 2009

Shampoo & conditioner bars: Additional information!

After seeing a post on the Dish, I realized I had failed to include preservatives in the shampoo and conditioner bar posts (click here for shampoo, click here for conditioner, and click here for the solid shaving bar). When you are including things like hydrolyzed proteins, you need to preserve because the bars are going to be exposed to water and people's hands and other things in the bath.

I like to use 0.5% Phenonip. I am generally a fan of Liquid Germall Plus, but this is not suitable for non-water applications. (Please refer to the post on preservatives for more information.) Optiphen might be an option for you (I've never used it), but Tinosan is right out for the conditioner or shaving bar because it doesn't play well with cationics.

Also, please allow your bars to cure for a day or two. I usually do, but I found myself without a conditioner bar and used one a few hours after making it. It melted away in the shower, so I only had about 50% of the time I'd normally have with a conditioner bar.

So sorry to have left this information out!

But as I like to think of everything in life as a opportunity to learn and grow, I encourage you, my wonderful readers, to share your feedback with me. Let me know if I've messed up, let me know if a recipe worked or didn't work for you, and let me know what you think!

And this is a lesson for me - I tend to print out my recipe, then write the updates in grease pencil on the plastic sheet in my binder. When I've been copying out recipes for this blog, I've tended to use the version on my computer, instead of including my notes. So guess what I'm doing today - updating the binder!

10 comments:

Esmée said...

I made them... Although they're very small. They last one or 2 times. I think I'm ok.... (Right?)
XD

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I use a dome shaped mold to make my bars approximately 90 grams, and they last at least a month with my mother and I both using them (about 6 - 7 times a week, so about 24 to 30 uses). My husband's seem to last forever (and you've seen pictures of his hair, halfway down his back!) Even my not-cured because I was desperate for conditioner has lasted three weeks!

What size and shape are you making these? Which recipe are you using? Let me know!

Esmée said...

Hello Susan!
I used SLSa, Betain, melt and pour soapbase (I do not not why, but it was good!), Incroquat BTMC, cetylalcohol, cacaobutter, sheabutter, silk proteins, D-Panthenol and FO.

I make in a mold, round and 20 gram each.
They last 1, 2 or maybe 3 times.

It was the first time I made something like that. I was so excited! They leave my hair soft and curly. (Yeah, I was proud!)
XD

Esmée said...

Sorry, I can not edit the other post...
:?
A good scentence:

* I make them in a mold*

LOL

Alittleofthisnalittleofthat said...

Susan,
Thank you, you are an insperation to me and others. I like some others that I have read comments from am not as concerned with "natural" as I am effective. I have learned so much.

Marina said...

Thank you Susan, for the clarification about the preservatives. Have you noticed that Lush does not use any preservatives in their SLS-based shampoo bars? They include frgrance ingredients like Citral, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, and essential oils, but no preservatives. How do they do that?

And - if we forgo using proteins in the recipe (as Lush does), can we get away with using no preservative?

I am asking because I like using Leucidal Liquid and I don't think it will work in anhydrous formulations.

Thank you again, Susan! Your blog is the best!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Marina. Lush doesn't list preservatives for quite a few of their products, but I don't think this means they don't use them. I'm sorry, but I don't really put a lot of faith in Lush's ingredient lists as they always seem to be missing something. Having said that, they probably don't use preservatives in their bars.

Kim V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim V said...


Hii!
When you use proteins and water based extracts in your shampoo bars (total of 6%), can you still not use a preservative like germall plus?
I've also read a few times now on different sources that surfactants contain water. So the same question goes, can you use germall plus for your shampoo bars?

(Forgot to add the comments follow-up, hence deleting my previous message)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Kim. I've written about this in another post - this is a really old one, like back to the beginning of the blog old - and yes, you can use liquid Germall Plus. Look for a post on Germaben II or liquid Germall Plus in scrubs to find it.