Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mineral make-up - Part 19: Using colour changing micas

Colour changing, chameleon, or interference micas! What are these? They are micas that shift colours in the light, kind of a variation of the iridescent micas we played with in part 13. I'm going to look at two of these - ones I've actually used - but you can get dozens of these types of micas at TKB Trading (click on the link, then in the search put in "travel" to find the "travel to (planet name)" series of colours.)

Chameleon sparkle (Suds & Scents - look left): This looks like a red kind of colour, but it shifts to green with a titch of purple in the light.

Patina green (Voyageur Soap & Candle): Again, this is a grey colour with a hint of green. (Click here to find the patina green recipe.)

As always, you can use something like the chameleon sparkle in a 1:1 ratio of base to mica to make a sheen that will shift colours in the light. But you can use these with iron oxides, and use our micas as the highlights.

Consider the colours in the base of the mica - in the case of chameleon sparkle, the base colour is going to be burgundy or reddish in nature. So we're going to choose our iron oxide with that base colour in mind. So I'll make up a basic burgundy base.

BURGUNDY BASE (matte base)
3/4 tsp base
1 scoop burgundy iron oxide

Then I'm going to add my chameleon sparkle colour on top of that. Add as much sparkle as you'd like. Start with 2 scoops (1/16 tsp) of chameleon sparkle, and see if you like this. I like to add a lot of sparkle, so I would add 4 scoops (1/4 tsp) of chameleon sparkle.

STAR GAZER GREY - original recipe from post 5!
3/8 tsp base
1 scoop black-blue iron oxide
2 scoops sunpearl silver.

MODIFICATION: Instead of adding my 2 scoops of sunpearl silver, I'm going to add 2 scoops of my patina grey to give it the green tinge.

With these colours, you are going to have to some playing around to figure out what base goes well with what. My suggestion is to try them first just in the base at the 1:1 ratio base to micas to see what colour jumps out at you. You don't want to hide the colour by choosing the wrong base colour!

For some of these colours, you'll have to use the alternate eye shadow base so the colours really pop. We tried the next two recipes with our basic eye shadow base and they were dulled. (Find alternate recipe here...) These micas are from TKB Trading - they are gorgeous! (And remember, I don't take money for advertising and don't allow it on the site, so this is just my unpaid, unsolicited opinion about these micas...)

As a note, it is really hard to take pictures of these colour changing eye shadows, so please click on the link for the mica to see the colour of the original before blending.

2 scoops alternate eye shadow base

This will make up 5/32 of a tsp. To increase it to a container size, you'll want to use 18/32 tsp (or 18 scoops) black amethyst mica and 12/32 tsp (or 12 scoops) alternate base for a full size.

3 scoops smokey XXX
2 scoops alternate eye shadow base

Again, to increase this to a full container size, use 18/32 tsp of mica (18 scoops) and 12/32 tsp (12 scoops) alternate base.


Mich said...

Hi Susan,
Great blog! I've played around with interference and color-shifting micas, and I find that these colors pop even better against darker background colors. (This is true in paint as well as MMU!)

For instance, Black Amethyst looks awesome mixed ~1:1 into a basic black iron oxide/eyeshadow base blend--the purple glimmer really comes to life against black. (And, as a bonus, the black IO helps prolong its wear.)

Here is a cool thing I've stumbled upon: To get an idea of how an interference/color-shift mica will interact with a base color, smear a dab of it onto a piece of colored cardstock or paper. You can rule out some combos easily and quickly.

Keep up the great work,

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Great suggestions, Mich! I'm going to play around this weekend with a black base for the black amethyst. It is my new favourite eye shadow for lining - I combine it with the light purple or patagonian purple and I'm so happy with it. And the black oxides will help it stay on!

I do the paper thing as well, although sometimes I just use my hand because I'm too lazy to find a piece of paper in my very very messy workshop!