Sunday, July 19, 2009

Foamer bottles: Hand wash

I do like the foamer bottle - and not just because it's lime green (as you can see from this picture, you can get them in a variety of colours)! I've been working on a post-crafting hand wash...and the nice thing about the foamer is I can include all kinds of ingredients that would normally destroy the lather of a surfactant mix because the bottle does the work for me!

So what do I want in a hand wash?
I want something foamy and cleansing.
I want something conditioning and moisturizing.
I want something that will remove scents and oils from my hands.

So I'll need surfactants and watery ingredients - because it's a foamy bottle, I'm going to use a lot of water, aloe, and hydrosols - and I'll need moisturizing and conditioning ingredients.

I'm having fun playing with the PEG 7 olivate (water soluble olive oil, an ester) so I'll use that as my moisturizing ingredient. If you don't have this, leave it out or use another oil with equal parts polysorbate 80 as an emulsifier.

I'm going to add d-Limonene to remove the oils and fragrance oils and other things I might get on my hands during the course of playing in the workshop with equal parts polysorbate 20 to emulsify. (Although, having said that, you can use PEG 7 olivate as the emulsifier/solubilizer - its HLB is 11.) You can leave the d-Limonene and polysorbate 20 out if you don't have it or don't want to use it. (d-Limonene is great for post-kitchen fun as well. Onions and garlic recoil at the sight of the mighty orange oil!)

I'm going to add a ton of honeyquat as my humectant and conditioning agent. You can use polyquat 7 or any other NON-THICKENING cationic polymer to this mixture as your conditioner. (Cationic guar or Celquat H-100 is not a good idea here as they both thicken, and that's not a good thing in a foamy bottle). Normally using 6% cationic polymer is going to reduce the foam greatly, but we're not worried about that in our foamy bottle!

Surfactants are inherently irritating to skin because you're removing oils, so I want to add oils and conditioning agents back into the mixture. d-Limonene removes oils as well, so I really want to add these things back. That's why I have a ton of various humectants and moisturizers in this mixture.

I'm going to add glycerin - not too much, as we don't want it to be thick - because it's also a humectant, but it boosts foam. I'm reducing the foam with my moisturizers and conditioners, so I'll add the glycerin to add some more oomph to the foam! (We aren't using sodium lactate - my favourite humectant - because it tends to wash off in rinse off products. You can use the humectant of your choice, but the glycerin will help with the bubbles!)

Panthenol is always a good thing for making your skin nice, so I'm adding that, and I always add a hydrolyzed protein to a surfactant mix for the film forming properties.

Aloe and hydrosols are a good thing - I didn't use hydrosols in this recipe simply because I forgot! - and the salts from aloe will help thicken things slightly, but not enough to thicken it so we can't use it.

42.5% water
10% aloe or hydrosols
16% LSB (Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate and Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate.)
5% BSB
7% Amphosol CG (coco betaine)
3% glycerin
3% PEG 7 olivate
2% hydrolyzed protein
6% honeyquat
2% panthenol
1% d-Limonene
1% polysorbate 20
0.5% preservative (Liquid Germall Plus)
1% fragrance or essential oil of choice

Weigh and heat the water, aloe or hydrosol, LSB, BSB, coco betaine, glycerin, PEG 7 olivate, glycerin, hydrolyzed protein, and honeyquat. Mix the d-Limonene and polysorbate in a separate container. When the mixture has cooled to 45C, add the panthenol, d-Limonene mixture, preservative, and fragrance (add colour, if desired). Bottle in a foamy bottle and enjoy!

Kids love foamy bottles - make this up for them, but leave out the d-Limonene and polysorbate 20! Add a fruity or foody scent and watch them spend hours playing in the sink.

You can substitute the surfactants of your choice for the LSB and BSB (anionic surfactants), but please do not substitute the coco betaine (amphoteric), as it is a co-surfactant and will make this mixture milder.

Have fun with foamy bottles!!!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I'm going to make this for my toddler and me, as I have horrible skin on my hands from overwashing, and the foam is easier for my toddler to lather. I fully intend to leave out the d-Limonene, but why do you advise to leave out the polysorbate 20? Isn't it necessary to emulsify the fragrance?