Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just curious: Why do people avoid silicones?

In comments on this blog and in posts on other fora, I've noticed people want to stay away from silicones. As someone who can wax poetical about silicones and puts them in in pretty much every product I make, I'm wondering why formulators would avoid these ingredients.

There are alternatives to silicones. You can try different oils - the esters or fractionated oils like fractionated coconut oil are good choices - or try silicone substitutes. I tried Crodomol STS - "Superior to Silicone" - and it was not. I have another product in the workshop I'm going to play with this weekend that is supposed to be a good substitute. I doubt I'll give up my lovely silicones, but it's nice to have options I can use or share with my wonderful readers!

Please share your comments! We all avoid various ingredients for our own reasons - we don't like the skin feel, we can't get the products, we work from a specific philosophy - and I think it would be interesting to share with each other why we do what we do!

So I post this question: Why do you use or avoid silicones?

5 comments:

Blandine said...

Hi

I do not use them because they are not really eco-friendly

Allison said...

I have avoided them because I don't really know enough about them, and their mfg. process. Are they eco friendly? Perhaps it is better to use a silicone than a natural product because saving the natural product is more important than the impact of mfg. silicone. Does it get in you? What does it do to you? Safety, etc. So I would say for me, is that I don't know enough about it to make the choice to use it as an addition / improvement or a substitution of a natural product (e.g. lab oxides vs. naturally mined oxides)...

Christine said...

I find the cones weigh my hair down as I have fine hair...they also seem to dry my hair out resulting in more split ends and shorter hair(never seemed to grow) My hairdresser brought this to my attention first and as I became more aware and stopped using them my hair is in better condition.

Lalla said...

I'm not sure yet what they can bring that other porducts can't, and that's the main reason I don't have any. There is not a wide range of silicone based products available where I live anyway. Last, I do not know if they cause significant pollution in waste water...

Tami said...

I have heard that long-term use of silicones causes drying and build-up. My mixed-race spiral curly hair tends to be dry so I thought I would try getting rid of silicones for the next few months to see if that makes a difference.