Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hydrovance in toners and sprays

So let's play with some Hydrovance. I'm including it in a few recipes to take the place of other humectants, specifically the summer cooling spray and apres sun spray because sodium lactate might make us sun sensitive. (Although I still include sodium lactate because I love the fact it's in my skin naturally!)

LAVENDER & CHAMOMILE TONER
30% witch hazel hydrosol
25% lavender hydrosol (or another hydrosol of your choice)
25% water
10% aloe vera liquid
2% hydrovance (in place of the sodium lactate)
3% honeyquat
2% panthenol
2% cromoist (or another hydrolyzed protein like soy or wheat...I just like oat protein!)
0.5% extract (I use chamomile)
0.5% preservative (I use Germall Plus)

For instructions, please check out the Make Your Own Toner post.

SUMMER COOLING SPRAY
30% witch hazel hydrosol
25% lavender hydrosol (or another hydrosol of your choice)
20% water
10% aloe vera liquid
5% hydrovance
3% honeyquat
2% panthenol
2% cromoist (or another hydrolyzed protein like soy or wheat...I just like oat protein!)
0.5% extract (I use chamomile)
0.5% preservative (I use Germall Plus)
1% peppermint essential oil
1% polysorbate 20
(these are new additions to get the feeling of cooling from the peppermint, the polysorbate 20 will emulsify it)

SUMMER SUN RELIEF SPRAY
20% witch hazel hydrosol
25% lavender hydrosol (or another hydrosol of your choice)
20% water
20% aloe vera liquid
5% hydrovance
3% honeyquat
2% panthenol
2% cromoist (or another hydrolyzed protein like soy or wheat...I just like oat protein!)
0.5% extract (I use chamomile)
0.5% preservative (I use Germall Plus)
1% lavender essential oil
1% polysorbate 20
(these are new additions to get the soothing lavender essential oil in the mixture; poly 20 to emulsify)

Have fun formulating with Hydrovance!

3 comments:

Motherhues said...

I have a quick question about the heat and hold thing... can you fill a canning jar with the water ingredients to heat it for the period necessary? or would it being inside a canning jar make it too hot and destroy all the herbal goodness ;)?

SwiftCraftyMonkey said...

I'm not exactly sure what a canning jar is...can you explain it to me? (I might know, but I don't want to make assumptions...) If you keep the hydrosols, aloe vera, glycerin, and so on - water phase - at 70C for 20 minutes, you shouldn't destroy the good stuff. But I want to know more about this canning jar!

Motherhues said...

You know, a mason jar :D for canning sauces and veggies and jellie and jam and stuff :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_jar :D
Thought it might work for not evaporating anything because it would be enclosed.... therefore no having to add in extra heat and held water...
It's an interesting theory, anyways :)