Saturday, April 25, 2009

Honeyquat in hair care products

Honeyquat was made for hair care products - literally! - so including it in a conditioner is a wonderful and good thing. It offers good wet combing and conditioning, and helps with anti-static control.

Let's take a look at a conditioner we made in the conditioning post....

OILY HAIR CONDITIONER - defrizzing, conditioning, moisturizing without oils7% BTMS
2% cetyl alcohol
.5% preservative
2% hydrolyzed protein
2% panthenol
2% cetrimonium chloride (optional)
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
1% fragrance or essential oils
3% honeyquatwater up to 100%

Weigh the BTMS and cetyl alcohol in a heat proof container and put into a double boiler. Weigh the water and put into a double boiler. Heat and hold until the the BTMS has melted and the water has reached 70C. Mix together with a hand mixer or stick blender, then let cool to 45C. When the mixture has reached 45C, add the protein, panthenol, cetac, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, preservative, honeyquat, and fragrance. Mix again. Let cool, then bottle.

You've added another conditioning agent to this wonderful conditioner, so you're going to get more conditioning and better wet combing.

As a note, you can leave out the cetrimonium chloride - add 2% water - if you don't have it or if you are using honeyquat as they kind of serve the same purpose (although the cetrimonium chloride is a better detangler!)

LEAVE IN CONDITIONER (original found in this post...check it out for details on ingredients)
2% Incroquat BTMS
2% honeyquat2% cetrimonium chloride (optional)
4% glycerin
1% aloe vera
1% hydrolyzed protein (I use oat protein)
1% panthenol
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
1% fragrance oil
.5% to 1% preservative (I use liquid germall plus)
water to 100%

Weigh the BTMS, cetac, glycerin, aloe vera, and water into a heat proof container and put into a double boiler until the ingredients melt. Mix well and leave to stand until the temperature reaches 45C, mixing occasionally. Add the hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, fragrance oil, and preservative at this time, and mix well. When the mixture is at room temperature, bottle in a spray bottle.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi! Could I add in butters and oils in place of the water if I want a thicker and more moisturizing leave in conditioner?

SwiftCraftyMonkey said...

You could reduce the water amount and add more oils and butter, but I'd increase the BTMS as the emulsifier for the conditioner.

If you wanted to use butters and oils, don't use a ton. I'd suggest no more than 5% because you are going to get the equivalent of lotion. Not a lot of hair types can handle that kind of oiliness in a leave in conditioner...I know my very thick, very oily hair would be limp once it dried, so you might want to use a little oil to start and some light oils that are hair friendly.

So maybe try increasing to 3% BTMS, 5% oils, and reduce your water accordingly. You are going to have a much thicker conditioner, more on par with a rinse off product.

I think only really dry hair could handle oils and butters in a leave in conditioner, but why not try it and let me know how it works out?

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

id love to pin this but there are no images! :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Does the picture of the ingredient work for you?

CC Mirabella said...

I'm 6 years late but I wanted to share this formula that started right here...I too had been wanting a little thicker leave in type I guess conditioner but really I wanted to make this Bed Head product I've been using for years short sexy/slept in Bed head. I've been using it even though I've had long hair all my life not sure why it's "short sexy" it's a texture cream. So after reading and READING READING.. This amazing blog this is what I was reading when it came together for me
Short/sexy/slept in bed head texture cream
Heated water
64% distilled water
10% aloe
4% propylene glycol ( humectant of choice, I used pg as that's what's in the actual product)
2% hydrolyzed keratin

Heated oil phase
5% btms 25 or 50
2.5 cetearyl alcohol
2% beeswax
2% murumu butter
Cool down phase
2% honeyquat
2% amodimethicone
2% cyclomethicone
1% germaben
1% fragrance or EO
It came out awesome I just made it last night so I used it today and I love it
Thank YOU