Friday, April 17, 2009

Better crafting through chemistry: Know your ingredients

I know, you're itching to tweak some of the products you've tried already, so let's take a closer look at some of the products available to home crafters. I've offered you an overview of various ingredients - surfactants, oils, butters, exotic oils, humectants, preservatives, and anti-oxidants - but I'd like to take a closer look at some of the speciality ingredients you can add to your creations.

I'm hoping to offer an in depth look at a number of my favourite ingredients with recipes and tweaks included. You don't have to use these ingredients to make awesome products, but it's always nice to know you have options!

Look forward to these products in the coming weeks....
  • honeyquat
  • condition-eze 7 (polyquat)
  • sodium lactate
  • water soluble oils
  • silicones
  • gels
  • hair styling ingredients like fixate g-100
  • panthenol
  • hydrolyzed proteins
  • and more...
If there's an ingredient you'd like to see featured here, just let me know!

If you want to go a'searching for information on your ingredients, the manufacturers' websites are a great place to start. Look for data sheets or product bulletins to learn more about the chemical composition, studies, and sample recipes for your products. You'll have to register for each company, but it's worth the time.

Some of the larger manufacturers are
Let's kick things off with one of my favourite cationic quaternary polymers - honeyquat!

3 comments:

Farha said...

Thanks for all the great info. I look forward to learning more about your favourite specialty ingredients. Have you used lecithin?

SwiftCraftyMonkey said...

I have some lecithin, but I haven't used it yet. I know it's an emulsifier...that's about it! What's your opinion on it?

Farha said...

I have some too, but also have yet to use it. As well as an emulsifier, it is a surfactant. I left it out of the first batch of a recipe I tried but will try it next time.

Yay for Chemistry! Thanks for all your great posts.

Best Wishes for the upcoming wedding.