Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Whipped butters

I'm going to be honest...this is a picture of a green tea sugar scrub, but it looks a lot like a whipped cocoa-mango butter, so I included it. I really need to take more pictures when I make products, eh?

Whipped butters are anhydrous (they do not contain water) and they are super easy to make if you have a double boiler and a hand or stand mixer with a whipping attachment. Buying whipped butters in a store will cost you a fortune, but making your own is a really affordable decadence that doesn't take a lot of money and even fewer supplies!

Because this is an anhydrous product, you do not need to add preservative to the mixture. You may, however, want to add Vitamin E to delay rancidity. If you do this, add 1% Vitamin E in place of 1% of the oil.

If you want to know more about butters, click here for the previous post.
If you want to know more about oils, click here for the previous post.

80% hard butter
19% oils
1% fragrance oil or essential oil

Weigh the butter and oils in a heatproof container and put into the double boiler until softened. Add your fragrance or essential oil and whip until fluffy. This might take a while, but it's worth it. With a spatula, put into a clean jar.

As with all recipes, think about what you want in a whipped butter. You can combine pretty much any oil and butter for a whipped butter, and some do not need heating.

80% shea butter
19% oil (I recommend shea oil or fractionated coconut oil, but you can choose any oil you like)
1% fragrance oil or essential oil

Blend the shea butter and oil together with your mixer until whipped. Package. Enjoy.

80% mango butter
19% oil
1% fragrance or essential oil.

Melt the mango butter and oil slightly, then remove from the double boiler and mix with your whisks until whipped. Package.

You can try many variations with butters and oils. Although cocoa butter is a great choice, you won't want to use it as the only butter as it goes very hard and will be difficult to spread on your skin. If you are using any hard butters, use 1/2 hard butter, 1/2 softer butter for a nice whipped consistency.

40% cocoa butter
40% other butter (aloe butter is a great choice here because it is so soft, but you can use shea or mango)
19% oils
1% fragrance or essential oil

Melt the cocoa butter completely, then add the mango butter and oil to the melted cocoa butter and begin to mix. As the cocoa butter is liquid now, you might want to put it in the fridge or freezer for a few moments until the edges start to harden. Remove from fridge or freezer, add fragrance oil, then whisk until it is fully whipped. Package.

Try a whipped butter with avocado, olive, almond or other butter and see what you think! And don't forget about your wonderful exotic oils! (Will be posted March 20th).


HappyNatashka said...

Hello, Susan!
First of all? I want to thank you for your blog and good recipes!
And my question: is it safety to use these kind of butters (especially whipped cocoa butter) on your face during the winter from time to time?
I've broken my brains, reading a lot of articles that says that pure oils could break lipid layer and make your skin even dryer than before. But you've said ( that cocoa butter helps to prevent TEWL.
Thank you for your answer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

Your blog is amazing and I can't get enough of it! I have 2 questions if I may :
- When do you need to put the melted butter in the fridge before whipping (my favorite part)? Is it only with Shea, Cocoa and kokum butter?
- When do you need to heat at 170F and hold for 20mn the oils? only in lotion (meanning when emulsification is involved)? otherwise melting the butters/oils is enough, correct?


Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elodie! I put it into the fridge to make it cool quicker so I can play with it sooner. As well, quick cooling reduces the risk of graininess! In anhydrous products - ones without water - you don't need to heat and hold most of the time. I encourage it with products like emulsifier scrubs because I want to make sure all the ingredients are well melted as some emulsifiers and fatty alcohols have high melting temperatures.

Bailey said...

Hi Susan,

I decided to try my hand at making something, and selected a whipped butter as the easiest to get ingredients for and least likely for me to FUBAR. `/;)

Anyway, I used the following recipe:
40% Cocoa butter
40% Mango butter
19% Macadamia nut oil
1% Sent (I used dark chocolate scent I picked up at a Ren Faire when I was in the USA; AWESOME!)

I followed your instructions, and now I've got it stored into a large jar for home use, and a smaller jar for travel.

End result? Delightfully awesome! Used it from brow to toes after a shower, and not only does it feel great, I now smell like chocolate, (- which for me is better than any perfume I've ever encountered,) and my hubby loved it too, being delightfully attentive afterwards. *impish grin*

Thank you for your awesome blog, recipes, research, helpful tips, and encouragement!

Cheers from Down Under,

Heka said...

My new recipe is 80 gr. Cocoa Butter 80 gr. Shea Butter 80 gr. Aloe Butter 80 gr. Coconut Oil 76 Gr. Rice Bran Oil 4 gr. Fragrance - So Amazing!

Rose said...

HI Susan,

THank you for this wonderful website...Is it possible to add fruit extracts such as papaya to body butters..( anhydrous) without using preservative and if much extract is typically recommended? 70% shea and 29% coconut oil and 1% essential oil

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Rose. No, you can't use powdered extracts designed to dissolve in water in an oil only product. It won't dissolve, and will live as big clumps of weird coloured powder in your lotion bar or whipped butter. You could find oil soluble extracts and use those. I get a few from Brambleberry - mallow extract and green tea, to name a few - and I really like them!