When you're making your creations, you'll note that some fragrances thin out your mixture and some thicken. This is why I suggest you fragrance before you use your Crothix and let it sit for a while. I find some mixtures "seize up" and give you Jell-o, but turn out fine...and others go to water, then thicken up...and some thicken or thin and don't change that consistency.
This isn't a bad thing as long as you keep it in your mind when you're formulating your creations. I keep a list of these fragrance oils beside me and I consult it regularly. A lot of this is trial and error. And if you do make Jell-o, then put it into a jar and call it "bubble goo" or something similar. (Kids love this!)
FRAGRANCES THAT THICKEN
- Citrus based oils: Hello Sweet Thang (Brambleberry), Lemon Curd (Nature's Natural Solutions), Jewelled Citrus (Brambleberry), and Satsuma (Soapcraft). As well, citrus based essential oils like orange, tangerine, key lime, and bergamot.
- Black Amber Lavender (Brambleberry) and lavender essential oil
- Oatmeal, Milk & Honey (Brambleberry)
FRAGRANCES THAN THIN
- Vanilla seems to thin mixtures and make them watery - these include Wedding Cake (Aquarius), Black Raspberry Vanilla (Soapcraft and Nature's Natural Solutions, but not the Voyageur version!)
- Sea Kelp & Green Bamboo (Nature's Natural Solutions) thin even with 2% Crothix!
If you are using the water soluble fragrances, like those available from Voyageur, you won't have this problem.