Saturday, March 21, 2009

Body scrubs - oil based.

(This is a photo of my much beloved manicure scrub. As you can see, I really need to make more!)

OIL BASED SUGAR OR SALT SCRUB
Making a sugar or salt scrub is fairly simple. You need two major ingredients - salt and oil at equal amounts.

IN THE TUB SCRUB
97% liquid oil of choice (I love sunflower and olive oil mixed together...)
2% fragrance or essential oil
1% Vitamin E

Mix your oils together well, pour into a clean jar, then add...
100% salt

Mix well, then you're done. This will need to be mixed every time you use it. (Buy a few little spatulae from your local supply store, like Voyageur, to ensure you aren't contaminating it!)

MANICURE SCRUB - this is just my suggestion...use whatever oils you like.
40% light weight oils - sunflower, soy bean, apricot kernel, sweet almond, something really moisturizing
20% medium weight oils - jojoba oil or rice bran
20% heavy weight oils - olive oil is fantastic here!
17% exotic oils - camellia oil is fantastic in this recipe, as is shea oil.
2% fragrance or essential oils
1% Vitamin E (both for awesome-ness and for anti-oxidation of the oils)
Add 100% of the recipe weight in fine sea or dead sea salts.

Mix your oils together well, put into a container. Now add the salts. Mix well.
Wash your hands before using, so the water can be trapped in by the oil.

WHIPPED BUTTER BECOMES SCRUB
If you enjoyed the whipped butter post, you might want to consider turning it into a scrub, which is pretty simple. You can add pumice (for feet), jojoba or clay beads, sugar or salt, walnut shells or apricot scrubby things! Add between 30 to 100% of these scrubby ingredients to your whipped butter. (So if you have 100 grams of whipped butter, add 30 to 100 grams of the scrubby ingredients.) How much you add is all about personal choice. I like something really scrubby for my feet; not so much for my face.

For your feet, I'd suggest 100% pumice or salt, or a mixture of both. For your face - if you can tolerate all that oil! - you'd want a very light exfoliant at 30 to 50%. Something like jojoba or clay beads would be great here. For your body, 100% salt or sugar or a mixture.

Before using shells of any sort, try them out in a small amount. I have found they are very very scrubby and can be very uncomfortable for some people (like me). You can also get loofah bits and use those. I have found they aren't scrubby enough. (Yes, I'm a difficult woman. There, I've finally said it out loud!)

BASIC INSTRUCTIONS: Make your whipped butter (butter, oils, Vitamin E, and fragrance or essential oil). Now add your chosen amount of exfoliant. Whip. Package. Rejoice.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: In the shower or bath, rub on your chosen body part and rinse. If you are using this on your feet, don't use it in the shower as you might fall down and die. Should you choose to ignore this last sentence, the court will note that I advised you not to do it, so it's not my fault.

BUTTER AND OIL BASED SCRUB
Try a combination of the two - 10% butter of some sort, 87% oil of your choice, 2% fragrance oil, 1% Vitamin E. Heat and hold your oil and butter until melted. Then add 80 to 100% your weight of oils, etc., in salt. Now add your fragrance or essential oil and the Vitamin E. Pour into a jar and let set. This is going to be a bit thicker than your oil only scrub.

SALT CHOICES
I'd recommend using fine sea salt or fine Epsom salts. Although coarser salts can look pretty cool, they don't feel all that nice when you're using it on your body. And fine Dead Sea salts are great, but as they are a humectant, mix them in with at least 50% of another salt. And remember that salt can sting open wounds or chapped areas, so keep this away from newly shaved legs or really trashed feet. Instead, choose sugar...

SUGAR CHOICES
I find plain, everyday white sugar is a great choice. I've tried other sugars, but as sugar is a humectant and brown sugar and the other sugars are really good humectants (look at your brown sugar container to see what I mean), these tend to get very clumpy. I would suggest sugar is best kept for the whipped butter recipe - sugar can dissolve in heated ingredients, and you're going to end up with frosting (for cakes, not your body), not a scrub!

It's Saturday - why are you still sitting in front of the computer? Hie thyself to the workshop and get creating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does an anhydrous whipped sugar scrub need a preservative? I keep getting different advise on this please help.

One person told me I have to always use a preservative because water will be introduced. One person told me the sugar will act as a preservative and the water will become hypertonic, and yet another person told me if I used an oil based preservative it would not be available in a lethal amount if water were to be introduced. Please help!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Yes, I would use a preservative in an anhydrous sugar scrub if you are planning to get it near water. I use Phenonip at 1% of my batch amount including sugar. Sugar can be a preservative in some things - like jam - but I wouldn't consider it a preservative in this context because of all the potential routes of contamination. (You don't tend to stick wet, soapy fingers into a jam jar!)

The way I look at it, you have no idea what the person using the scrub will do to it. They could leave the cap off, let the dog lick it, spill all of it in the tub and scoop it back into the container, or use it as directed, putting their hands into the container when they are covered in water. I figure adding an appropriate preservative - again, I use Phenonip - is the best way to ensure the scrub will stay lovely as long as my giftee has it in her possession.

Jane said...

Hi Susan.

Would there be any reason to add Stearic Acid or Polysorbate 20 in this or any any scrub that only oils, butters and fragrance are used?

Thank you for your response.
Jane