Saturday, March 14, 2009

Anti-frizz spray!

If you're a frizzy haired girl like me, you've probably tried every single thing in the salon, drug store, and health food store you can find to prevent having poof hair! Here is a really simple recipe for making anti-frizz spray that really works! (I sound like an infomercial there, don't I? Sorry about that!) If you aren't a frizzy haired girl, you can make this spray for shine and protection from the elements. Silicones are the working ingredients in smoothing, shining, and straightening products - they offer shine and conditioning, but won't protect you from heat, so don't depend on these for that purpose.

ANTI-FRIZZ SPRAY
90% cyclomethicone
10% dimethicone

Put a 4 ounce/125 ml spray bottle on your scale and measure out 90 grams of cyclomethicone, 10 grams of dimethicone. Put sprayer into bottle. Spray onto your hair after washing and leave in conditioning, but make sure you don't coat the walls and counters of your bathroom with it! (I spray it into my hand and then smooth over my hair because I don't want a sticky bathroom!)

Yep, that's it. You can choose different types of dimethicone. I find the 1000 c.s. keeps the frizzies down more than the 350 c.s. dimethicone, but either is good.

As for fragrances - do you remember the discussion about polar and non-polar ingredients? This is a huge factor with silicones. Silicones are polar, thus any fragrance oils you add to this mixture MUST be polar. If they are not, they will create a little tornado in the bottom of the bottle (it's actually kind of cool to watch), and they will turn into little weird flakes. So add fragrance oil at 1% if you wish, but make sure your fragrance oil is polar!

That was simple, eh? And it didn't cost $25 for the bottle, either!

WAIT! There's no preservative there! I know, I'm always going on and on about how you must use a preservative, then I give you a recipe without a preservative. You don't need a preservative in something that doesn't contain water. These are called "anhydrous" (without water) products, and this is one of those. The anti-frizz spray contains only silicones, which don't need a preservative.

Nice segue, eh? Tomorrow we'll be starting on the anhydrous products using oils. So join me in the next two weeks for information on making your own whipped butters, bath melts, bath oils, apres bath lotions and sprays, fragrance sprays, and more!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Interesting!

By the way I've spent all day today reading your AMAZING blog! And very much likely to do the same tomorrow!

Keep going... :)

Sarah

Unknown said...

I'm a curly-haired girl, also, with the usual dry hair and frizz issues. I've been using the c/o-washing, avoid-'cones-at-all-costs, not-rinsing-out-the-conditioner, adding-styling-gel-to-control-frizz method. Your other posts have piqued my interest in trying shampoo plus conditioners and styling products with silicones instead.

Do you use styling gel to control curl or just leave-in conditioner plus anti-frizz spray?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Unknown! I don't use any gels because I don't style my hair - I wash it and let it dry naturally. I use my solid shampoo bar and my solid conditioner bar in the shower, then my leave in conditioner and anti-frizz spray after the shower. It's been working for me for years! I love this combination of products!

Anonymous said...

Hi , Thanks for all the great info.
Is there anything that I could add to your Anti-frizz spray to offer some heat protection for use with a flat iron ? Cheers Elizabeth !

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elizabeth. I don't feel comfortable in suggesting anything that can protect one's hair while using heated implements just in case something goes wrong. If you look at the ingredients in your heated hair products, you'll see that they mostly contain dimethicone and variants, cyclomethicone, and some oils. You could use a product like this anti-frizz as a possible heat protecting spray, but I make no guarantees for it because everyone has a different hair type and everyone's hair will react differently to products and styling instruments.

alia said...

i want to make an anti frizz and anti fly away and detangling hair mist
that has a mild floral smell and is 100% natural but i have no idea how to
and what would be a basic formula to make a hair mist or hair spray
and are these two different ?